Basic Failure Analysis (BFA) training is intended to provide facility personnel the requisite skills and knowledge to eliminate the problems and chronic failures that they are experiencing everyday on the job. In our reactive world, it is not practical to expect that a full blown RCA can be performed every time a problem occurs. However, we must still address these problems in order for our organizations to be as productive as possible. BFA was developed to meet this need where time and resources are scarce, but the job must still get done.
What is Basic Failure Analysis?
BFA is the “no frills”, get down to business, problem solving tool for those closest to the real work. While Root Cause Analysis (RCA) is an in-depth approach to solving higher visibility failures BFA is about the failures-of-the-day that do not injure people, cause regulatory concern or cost a fortune. BFA is designed specifically by field personnel, for the field. BFA can be thought of as a RCA Lite or 5-Whys Turbo. It is meant to adapt to these on-the-fly conditions and not to get stalled in paralysis-by-analysis! We see it, we solve it, we move on.
How Can BFA Help You?
1. BFA does not require the rigor of RCA because the types of failures being addressed have not yet caused the consequences that we usually use RCA for. While the approaches are very similar, the rigor employed on data collection techniques in BFA is not as stringent. BFA gets down to business quickly.
2. BFA allows you to unleash the creativity of your workforce to resolve issues they see every day and that they have the control over to eliminate. This allows the corporation as a whole to control the fix instead of the fix controlling operations.
3. BFA is economical to allow the transfer of the skills to solve problems in the field. BFA is available in a Train-The-Trainer (TTT) format for this purpose.
4. BFA affects the bottom-line right now. ROI expectations should be in the range of 600% to 1000% for every dollar invested.
Learn How To:
- prioritize failures/problems, separate sporadic, unavoidable events from chronic ones.
- Identify and accumulate necessary failure/problem information using 5 P’s technique.
- Formulate hypotheses using RCI’s proven “Logic Tree” approach.
- Verify hypotheses
- Determine the root cause(s) and recommend corrective actions.
One Day Course:
Because of its modular design, BFA exercises utilize examples of the different types of failures that exists at various organizations (safety, maintenance, environmental, administrative, process, operational, etc.). This enables BFA to be tailored to meet the specific needs of company facilities and operations.
Train-the-Trainer Format – 3-5 Day Course
This BFA Train-the-Trainer workshop is designed to teach the student how to deliver the BFA (1 day) workshop to others at their organization. The BFA Train-the-Trainer workshop is a 3-5 day in-depth workshop. On the first day the RCI instructor will teach the Basic Failure Analysis course to the student. The other days the student will be trained on how to deliver the 1 day BFA workshop in their own facility. The RCI instructor will offer guidance and tips to ensure their students are successful in presenting the course material. For current pricing on the TTT format contact us at 804-458-0645 or email@example.com